The Wildman Project

Backyard Transformation Part 7

IMG_0388

 

With most of the major work now complete, it was time to start filling in the backyard. First up was to build a some short of shade cover for our seating area, a pergola if you will. I thought about building one out of redwood, but knew it could get pricy with the material. So I went to Craigss List again, to see if anyone was selling them. It my surprise again, someone was selling them as kits, with free delivery. It just so happened that the size he was selling, fit perfectly in our seating area. For $350 I was sold.

Our new pergola was delivered and before putting it together, I wanted to put a water proofer on it. Its easier to do it now, than when it is assembled. That why you can make sure each piece has a nice coat on it. Once that was complete, I began assembly. I was afraid I wasn’t going to be able to put this together by myself. some of the pieces were 12 feet long. I got creative and used a ladder as my “helper”. I was able to put it together, and was happy with my purchase.

 

IMG_0388

As you can see from the picture above, it doesn’t really provide much shade. So I needed to get creative again and make something to provide more shade. I knew I had seen “shade cloth” before, so I went to Hone Depot to see if they carried any and they did. They had different sizes, shapes and colors, PERFECT!! After doing some thinking and looking at the sizes they had, my game plan was to make two rectangle frames and staple the shade cloth to them. I purchased some 1-1/2″ x 1-1/2 x 12′ pieces of redwood and make two large frames. I attached the cloth to the frames andused a ton of staples. Once complete, I screwed them to the top of the pergola.

After 5 years, it is holding up better than I expected.

photo

About author View all posts Author website

WildmanProject

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *